Thursday 9 February 2012

War Horse; A Real Soldier Now - I'm Lousy; Bum Food: Bully Beef and Biscuit; and Moving Pictures





Last night I watched War Horse and was interested in the depiction of the "mule skinners" - the soldiers responsible for the calvary horses and mules, moving munitions and supplies to the front. The movie touched on the subject of underage enlistment with the young German brothers and the main British character, Albert. I found the movie overly sentimental, simplistic and too graphic in the "No Man's Land" fleeing, terrified horse and barbed wire scene, but I appreciated the visual images of the soldiers working with and caring for the horses - it helped to fill in the areas of my imagination that were sketchy about the day-to-day gunner drudgery.




No comments:

Post a Comment